TITLE: Analyst/Programmer Lead
FUNCTIONAL JOB TITLE: Director of Digital Library Services
SUPERVISOR: Department Head Digital Humanities Center TIME STATUS: Full-time
The River Campus Libraries seeks a senior library information technology professional to lead the new Digital Library Services Department. The Digital Library Services unit brings together two teams of professional staff members:
• The Information Discovery Team has 6 team members whose responsibilities include collections related programming and analytics, integrated library system (ILS) maintenance and administration, library website services, web application programming and interface design, and collections systems application (ILLIAD Interlibrary Loan System and AIMS Asset and Inventory Management Software)
• The Network Services Team includes 4 team members whose duties include systems administration, network administration, authentication and security management, and management of the programming environment.
These two teams are charged with creating the information architecture, interfaces, and applications that allow the RCL to expose their rich collections, expertise, human and scholarly resources, and technology rich learning spaces to the UR community in support of teaching and learning. In addition to leading these two teams, the Director of Digital Library Services will have a proven track record of collaboration across departments and institutions, with a focus on building strong interdepartmental partnerships.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: 30% Leadership and Management
• Provides outstanding IT Leadership for the RCL by coaching and developing an expert IT professional staff that positions our networks and digital library resources to support 21st Century scholarship.
• Collaborates with University IT and other external stakeholders on the use of system support programs, integrated services, security and access control policies, site licensing, and other issues that arise.
• Works closely with Manager of AV-IT Services to forecast IT budget and equipment needs.
• Leads personnel on established standards and provides technical knowledge and guidance to assure optimum efficiency and project progress.
• Develops work team and individual employee skills and capabilities
• Motivates employees
• Conducts formal performance reviews
30% IT Network Services Administration
• As the head of the Network Services Team: Works with systems administrators and library stakeholders to ensure the libraries’ network supports the RCL’s strategic priority to provide technology rich learning spaces; forecasts future system upgrades or needs.
• Ensures the library network, including webservers, application servers, storage, and backup systems are capable of supporting the RCL’s current and future use of electronic resources, including digital asset preservation and management, data storage and retrieval, and the housing and dissemination of future digital collections and projects.
• Confers with technical and user personnel to assess needs and recommends modifications and/or additions to programs and equipment.
• Consults with the Network Services Team on the day-to-day performance of monitored systems and provides feedback.
• Enforces compliance with all State and Federal statutes governing the administration of computer networks; ensures compliance with all University policies and procedures for network administration, security and access.
• Programs difficult and complex parts of application systems.
• Collaborates closely with the AV-IT Services Manager to forecast network system upgrades
• Programs difficult and complex parts of application systems. 30% Digital Library Innovation
• As leader of the Information Discovery Team: Consults with RCL departments to assess complex data preparation and management needs related to digital library services and resources.
• Programs, designs and tests systems, software and equipment. Offers solutions and suggestions to provide optimum efficiency and cost effectiveness.
• Enforces standard program change policies and procedures, reviews test results, and insures that documentation is kept current and complete.
• Supports highly innovative and flexible Resource Discovery team through project management framework.
10% Professional Development and Service
• Keeps abreast of trends as they relate to academic library network services, electronic resource management, digital library networks, or other relevant IT areas by self-study, attending job related seminars, courses, or conferences which enhance personal development and strengthens the RCL’s information technology framework to support teaching and learning.
• Performs other related duties as required, including presentation of seminars, courses, and instruction on computer services as required.
• Participate in RCL committees and meetings required by supervisor.
Requirements Qualifications & Competencies: Specific to the position:
• Bachelor’s degree in related discipline such as Computer Science, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Science, Library and/or Information Technology, or Engineering
• 5-7 years of related experience, preferably 3-5 years in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) and/or Library and Information Science (MLIS) preferred.
• Outstanding leadership and team building skills
• Demonstrated success in building and leading an IT program
• Ability to conceptualize, articulate and identify meaningful success measures for strategic and near-term goals
• Outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills
• Self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and abilities and comfortable working in a team environment
River Campus Libraries Requirements:
• Strong commitment to building and nurturing positive relationships among users and colleagues with a proven ability to work in a collaborative environment
• Demonstrated assertiveness and diplomacy
• Proven willingness to pursue additional educational and skills development to complement the learning environment reflected in a progressive academic setting
• Demonstrated organizational skills in a broad range of situations
• Collegial and contributory member of the team and of the RCL as a whole
• User focused and committed to service excellence with all users
• Solution focused, identifying synergies and opportunities to benefit users
• Professional, organized and prepared
• Generates, recommends and welcomes resourceful or creative approaches and solutions that improve productivity and patron services
The University and the Library: The University of Rochester Libraries belongs to the Association of Research Libraries and has collections of more than three million volumes and more than 44,000 active serial titles. The River Campus Libraries, the largest of three library systems at the University of Rochester, is in the process of implementing the second year of a five-year transformational strategic plan. This provides an opportunity for the incumbent to contribute to the realization of the Libraries to the vision of a collaborative hub of innovation in support of the Schools we support. For more information on the University and the Libraries, please consult our website: www.library.rochester.edu. The University of Rochester is the sixth largest private employer in New York State and one of the nation’s leading private universities with just over 5,800 undergraduate and over 4,600 full and part-time graduate students on the River Campus. Located in Rochester, New York, the University gives students exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary study and close collaboration with faculty through its unique cluster-based curriculum. Among the 100 largest metropolitan regions in the country, Greater Rochester has earned a reputation as one of the most livable communities in the nation. Located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario and gateway to the scenic Finger Lakes, Rochester offers its 1.1 million residents the amenities of a metropolitan area with a quality of life not available in many urban regions. Rochester is recognized as one of the most affordable housing markets in the country. Several high schools in the metropolitan area have been consistently listed by Newsweek as among the best in the country. The metropolitan area boasts 20,000 acres of parkland and offers year-round recreational opportunities for those who like to be outdoors in all seasons. In addition to hosting past PGA, LPGA, and Ryder cup tournaments, Rochester is also home to top-level minor league baseball, hockey, soccer, and lacrosse teams. For more information about living in Rochester, see Rochester Made for Living , and Rochester One of the Smartest Cities.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE AT: http://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/iobs/ Reference ID: 186746
Application deadline is December 17, 2014
Please ALSO send letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references to:
Rush Rhees Library
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627
RIVER CAMPUS LIBRARIES
UNIVERSITY of ROCHESTER
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer: EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled