The Medaille College Libraries is seeking applicants for the position of part-time librarian at the Buffalo Campus Library. The person in this position will work approximately 20 hours per week, have interlibrary loan duties, reference and instruction duties, and will assist the Access and Support Services team in special projects as needed. The successful candidate will be able to work some evening and weekend hours.
Applicants must possess an M.L.S. from an ALA-accredited institution. Experience working in access or support services in an academic library is preferable. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively in a team; possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills; and have a strong commitment to service.
Medaille is a growing, private, four-year, liberal arts-based college in Buffalo, New York, serving the educational needs of traditional and non-traditional students in Western New York, Southern Ontario, and Rochester through a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs (www.medaille.edu<http://www.
Please submit resume with cover letter and three contact references to: Barbara Bilotta, Director of Human Resources, Medaille College, 18 Agassiz Circle, Buffalo, NY 14214. Review of applications will continue until position is filled. No phone calls please.
Honeywell International - Buffalo, NY
Honeywell International is a $40 billion diversified Fortune 100 leader with more than 131,000 employees in 100 countries around the world. We invent and manufacture technologies that address some of the world’s toughest challenges linked to global macro trends like energy efficiency, clean energy generation, safety and security, globalization and customer productivity.
We are building a world that’s safer and more secure, more comfortable and energy efficient, more innovative and productive. For more information, please visit Honeywell.com or follow us @HoneywellNow.
This role supports the Honeywell Performance Materials and Technologies (PMT) business, based in Morristown, N.J. Performance Materials and Technologies is a high-performing, global business with an array of technologies that are changing the world for the better. We develop and manufacture advanced materials and process technologies used in a wide range of industries and applications, from petroleum refining to environmentally-friendlier refrigerants to bullet-resistant vests. Our advanced materials are critical in the manufacture of products ranging from nylon to computer chips to pharmaceutical packaging.
Performance Materials and Technologies holds more than 3,900 patents globally and employs 2,800 engineers (about one-third of its total workforce) and 1,100 R&D personnel, including 400 with doctorates. Performance Materials and Technologies comprises five businesses, each of which succeeds on the strength of its technology portfolio, complimented with expertise in engineering, sales, marketing and supply chain.
Advanced materials is the portfolio of chemical businesses with research centric scientists located in Buffalo NY (Fluorine), Sunnyvale CA and Spokane WA (Electronic Materials), Colonial Heights VA and Morristown NJ (Resins and Chemicals), and Seelze Germany (Specialty products). Some scientists are also located in research centers in Gurgaon, India and Shanghai, China. Support is also needed for the various chemical engineers at Advanced Materials production facilities (Metropolis, IN, Hopewell, VA, Chester, VA, Philadelphia, PA) and the Product Stewardship group in Morristown. The largest number of research scientists is in Buffalo.
The portfolio of chemistry in Advanced Materials is across several disciplines of chemistry and some chemical engineering. Disciplines include:
Organic (small carbon chain acyclic compounds with fluorine, chlorine, caprolactam)
Inorganic (organo metallics, ammonium sulfate, complex salts; lanthanides, metallurgy)
Polymers (PCTFE, UHMWPE, nylon, PE wax)
The position is responsible for searching and synthesizing information from primary and secondary sources into intelligent information used in strategic decision making for R&D activities of the Advanced Materials businesses. This could be information supporting New Product and process Development, market information, intellectual property, acquisition activities or other business functions. The researcher will be responsible for developing standard request protocols, prioritizing outstanding items, and delivering accurate information on a timely basis.
The searcher for advanced materials should be well rounded in many areas of chemistry. They must be skilled at researching a multiple ingredient composition search as well as very skilled in scientific areas of search. Know when to ask questions and be prepared to have more than one round of search attempts. The scope of the search (due to the complexity) may change so a new search attempt is needed. The search expertise needs to be at the PRO level for the most complex research.
In order to effectively provide information, the researcher will be responsible for the following activities:
* Conduct advanced technical searches and synthesize results from: scientific literature/patent resources such as SciFinder and STN, including command searching Chemical Abstracts using CA numbers and associated indexing; structure, sub-structure, detailed reaction, and chemical properties search tools such as REAXYS (formerly Beilstein and Gmelin); patent search and analysis tools such as Thomson Innovation and Orbit; and secondary engineering literature resources such as COMPENDEX
* Conduct expert searches in a variety of sci-tech, business, economics, marketing, and finance databases, such as Dialog, STN, Factiva, Lexis-Nexis, Newsedge, and Onesource
* Use analytical and graphic tools to convert the raw data from above searches into useful information
* Partner with R&D teams to understand the development pipeline and create information support solutions for research pipeline and technology roadmaps
* Monitor commercial developments, track competitor and industry trends, and distribute competitive intelligence results by setting up regular alerts etc.
* Provide value-added information support to business development, marketing, scientists, IP attorneys, toxicologists, risk assessment, engineers and key decision makers in the Advanced Materials Division
* Train employees in the use of information resources. Evaluate and recommend new resources; serve as an expert in selected resources
* Knowledge management activities: Documentum support for projects; Microfilming/scanning for lab notebooks. project manager for project; training, troubleshoot, indexing documents, SOP’s, access prior research reports
* Manage on site physical assets for R&D – notebooks, library books, journals for this 2nd largest R&D site in PMT
* Other activities as assigned
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.
* Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience in natural sciences or engineering
* 3 + years of related experience or equivalent information specialist experience searching chemistry, business, economics, marketing, and finance databases
* Very strong research and analytic capabilities
* Proficiency in web site, portal design is a plus
* Ability to work as an effective contributor within the team-based environment
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential
* MLS or MLIS degree preferred