Western NY Library Resources Council
The Hospital Library Services Program of the Western New York Library Resources Council (HLSP/WNYLRC) is seeking an energetic, personable, self-directed and service-oriented individual with excellent research, communication & organizational skills to serve as a Hospital Circuit Librarian for several hospitals in Western New York.
Major responsibilities include: database searching and training, cultivation of good working relationships with physicians and hospital staff, provision of reference service and interlibrary loan and on-site library development.
This position is unique in that it provides an opportunity to work in different hospital environments (rural, urban, community, teaching, public and private) and to provide support to patient care providers. This position is full-time temporary 35 hours/week with the possibility of leading to full-time permanent employment upon successful completion of a probationary period.
Job duties include but are not limited to the following:
Complete a performance evaluation and set goals and objectives for self.
Provide the following services at circuit hospitals, where appropriate:
- Visit hospitals on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Document work completed both on and off-site.
- Train new hospital liaisons.
- Work to streamline on-site information processes.
- Train hospital staff in use of HUBNET & other online resources.
- Serve on the hospital’s library committee.
- Market HLSP services and hospital library both on-site and via social media.
- Facilitate access to HLSP services including ILL, electronic literature searches and reference.
- Consult on the library’s physical environment, budget, library committee, policies & procedures, collection, cooperative arrangements & services.
- Act as a liaison between the circuit hospitals and the HLSP.
- Collection development including: selecting, ordering and cataloging library materials (funds permitting), and weeding collections.
- Update and maintain lists of circuit hospital library’s journal and book holdings.
Prepare annual reports for each hospital.
Serve on the WNYLRC Committee for Health Information Access (CHIA).
Maintain membership in appropriate professional organizations such as UNYOC
Attend and participate in continuing education classes.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and/or HLSP Coordinator.
MLS degree from an ALA-accredited institution.
Valid driver’s license/reliable transportation.
Ability to work independently.
Working knowledge of:
- Database and online searching.
- General reference & technical services.
Health sciences librarianship experience.
Excellent written and communication skills.
Salary & Benefits:
WNYLRC offers on-the-job training, good compensation and benefits, mileage reimbursement and a pleasant work environment.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Mail, fax, or e-mail a cover letter, current resume or curriculum vitae, salary range requirements and addresses and phone numbers of 3 current professional references to the address below.
No phone calls, please.