The Library is unique in that it is attached to a museum (The Arkell Museum) with a notable collection of American Art. The library and museum have some shared spaces and shared staff– but separate budgets for each of their programs.
Candidates should have a Master’s Degree in library science or equivalent from a school that is accredited by the American Library Association; and must be eligible for or possess a New York State Public Librarian certification; and have at least two years of professional experience that includes some supervisory and administrative experience.
The salary range for this position is $38,000 – $45,000. Benefits include health insurance and employer contributions to a 403b plan.
Full job description can be found below:
Cover letter, resume, and three references should be submitted to:
Library Director Position
Canajoharie Library and Art Gallery
2 Erie Blvd
Canajoharie, NY 13317
The Library Director (LD) administers all library services at the Canajoharie Library and Arkell Museum at Canajoharie. The LD’s primary responsibilities are the advancement of the institution and the fulfillment of it’s mission, and for all operational and general administrative functioning. The LD reports directly to the Board of Trustees.
- Administers library functions in accordance with Library policies and within the confines of the Library Association’s By-laws and applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Work with the Board of Trustees in planning for library development and financial support.
- Coordinate and participate with the Board of Trustees in the development and implementation of a strategic plan consisting of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities of the organization.
- Develop and present an annual operating budget to the Board of Trustees.
- Oversee the financial operations, accounts, endowments, gifts, and associated records and documentation to assure effective controls are observed and budgets are achieved.
- Develop and oversee marketing and media strategies and initiatives including wed-based, print, and all other venues for the purpose of advancing the library’s mission.
- Keep library collection current and organized through collection development and maintenance.
- Supervise, hire, train, and evaluate staff as outlined in the organizational chart and personnel policy.
- Conduct staff meetings and encourage continuing education and professional growth of staff members.
- Develop procedures for and supervise volunteers, and interns in accord with the personnel policy.
- Coordinate reference assistance, computer use, circulation and other aspects of library public services.
- Writes and implements library related grants and special projects.
- Serve library users through the development and maintenance of library programs for all ages.
- Coordinate institutional technology resources, including all devices on the library network
- Be active in securing the resources to operate the library and to promote its services.
- Maintains an active involvement in professional associations
- Serves as the liaison to library system activities, collections and programs
- Perform related work as required
Desirable education and experience:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or an equivalent program
- Experience working in a professional position in a library environment with at least 2 years in a supervisory capacity
- Ability to work with the public through programs and on an individual basis
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally
- Ability to plan and organize work routines and long range projects
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the staff, Museum Director, Board of Trustees, Board Committees, and the public