The Mohawk Valley Library System, a cooperative public library system serving Fulton, Montgomery, Schenectady and Schoharie counties, seeks a full time Communications Specialist to coordinate community engagement and communications activities for MVLS and the 14 individual public libraries that make up the system, under the supervision of the system executive director.
General Statement of Duties:
The MVLS Communications Specialist will work with the public libraries in Fulton, Montgomery, Schenectady and Schoharie counties, helping these libraries gather community input, communicate library service impact and advocate for sustainable funding. The position requires a high degree of organization, attention to detail and self-motivation as well as a commitment to the public library mission.
Typical Work Activities (Illustrative Only):
· Develop and analyze community surveys for member libraries
· Facilitate & report on community focus groups and listening sessions for member libraries
· Coach member library staff to encourage community presentations and assist with presentations
· Educate member library staff & trustees on the importance of community engagement
· Works with MVLS and member libraries to develop and implement Communications Plans
· Assists MVLS and member libraries with websites, social media and other communications platforms
· Develops a project to collect and disseminate Library Impact Stories
· Develops system-wide communications for National Library Week, Banned Books Week, etc.
· Works with member libraries to develop sustainability plans
· Works with member libraries on communications activities for budget votes
· Provides member library workshops on communications & advocacy topics
· Performs other communications and member library services related duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Willingness to work a flexible schedule to meet member libraries’ needs
· Willingness to travel to all MVLS communities. A valid NYS Driver’s License is required
· Schedules time effectively, meets deadlines, and deals with interruptions
· Ability to plan, develop and implement training for member libraries
· Communicates confidently before audiences, board members, elected officials and library staff
· Fluent with computer technologies necessary for communications: data management, web development etc.
· Working knowledge of public library services and practices
· Tact and courtesy in dealing with employees, clients, member libraries, and the public
· Ability to work collegially and cooperatively with a wide variety of system & member library clients
· Bachelor’s degree in Communications or a related field
· Professional experience with community engagement in a public or non-profit environment
MLS degree, if paired with Communications and Community Engagement experience
$44,694 minimum depending on experience, with benefits including health insurance, NYS retirement etc.
Apply by resume to:
Eric Trahan, Director, Mohawk Valley Library System, 858 Duanesburg Road, Schenectady, New York 12306. email: email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: Friday, March 10, 2017
The Mohawk Valley Library System is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for people with disabilities.