The Onondaga County Public Library is seeking an Administrative Director.
The work involves responsibility for performing a variety of complex administrative duties to assist the Library Director of the Onondaga County Public Library in the efficient and effective operation of the department. The work entails responsibility for the effective administration of department personnel matters, financial administration, procurement administration, grants management, facilities management and safety and security. The incumbent provides assistance to the Library Director in terms of analysis of work flow and office management, policies and procedures in order to improve the overall operation of the department. Supervision may be exercised over subordinate employees; oversight is exercised over applicable committees and projects. Work is performed under the general direction of the Library Director with leeway allowed for independent judgment in contributing to the department’s mission. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
* Liaises with the Onondaga County Office of Management and Budget, the Facilities Management Department, and the Department of Personnel to ensure good communication, the maximization of staff efficiencies, and centralized tracking of issues related to the budget, facilities, and personnel.
* Serves as a liaison to County Personnel Department and works with them to ensure the library implements and adheres to the terms of collective bargaining unit agreements.
* Performs management studies for the Library Director to analyze work flow, file maintenance, record keeping, reporting procedures and related activities in order to develop and implement model systems which will improve the overall operation of library operations.
* Supervises projects or functions in collaboration with other professional administrative staff.
* May supervise subordinate employees.
* Prepares a variety of correspondence and reports.
* May represent the department at county and community meetings.
* Collaborates with library administration and other staff to prepare the library’s annual budget.
* Collaborates with the Onondaga County Office of Management and Budget staff to provide needed financial information and reports to staff, administration, the Library Board, and the Friends of the Central Library.
* Prepares and submits mandatory New York State Annual Report.
* Manages departmental contracts.
* Monitors department budget and purchasing status to review expenditures, maintain control over surpluses and shortages, recommend transfers to cover shortages and to discern potential budgeting problems in order to provide effective budget management and operation of the library.
* Monitors purchase procedures to ensure adequate safeguards are utilized to prevent waste and duplication.
* Assists in the development and execution of library procurement processes for services, equipment, and supplies.
* Prepares Request for Proposal (RFPs) for a variety of goods, and services.
* Oversees and participates in the approval process for purchase of supplies and equipment for the department.
* Administers and tracks library grants and state and federal aid for the library and ensures the library is in compliance with all requirements and standards for administration of such aid including periodic and annual reporting.
* Communicates with granting organizations and administration in regard to project budget, scheduling payments, reports, deadlines, and other issues.
* Serve as a liaison to County Facilities Department in building or maintenance issues at Central and Branch libraries Oversees the scheduling and budgeting of facility renovations and construction.
Safety and Security
* Develops, communicates and enforces departmental safety policies and procedures Reviews all incident reports, and analyzes plans, and implements safety and/or security measures for staff and library patrons.
* Oversees the library’s contract with an outside security firm and manages communication between them and library staff and administration.
* Collaborates with various agencies in resolving security/safety issues.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
* Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration inclusive of administrative, management and planning techniques, personnel administration and interviewing techniques.
* Good knowledge of principles and practices of governmental budgeting and budget administration.
* Good knowledge of computer applications for office operations, including word processing and spreadsheets.
* Skilled in grant administration.
* Critical thinking skills.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to establish and maintain constructive and cooperative relationships with others.
* Ability to make oral presentations and support recommendations and policies both orally and in writing.
* Ability to analyze information gathered for the purpose of developing recommendations and/or making decisions.
* Ability to supervise and plan the work of subordinates in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
* Ability to plan, organize and coordinate the work of various divisions.
* Problem solving ability.
Open Competitive A)Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Masters Degree in business, public administration, library science, or a closely related field and three (3) years of professional level work experience, or its part-time equivalent in a combination of personnel and budget administration; or,
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Baccalaureate Degree in business, public administration, library science, or a closely related field and five (5) years of professional level work experience, or its part-time equivalent in a combination of personnel and budget administration.
Applicants should send their resume and letter of interest to Vanessa Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or mail to:
Onondaga County Public Library
447 South Salina Street
Syracuse, New York 13202
Attn: Vanessa Campbell