- Legally Using Images: Understanding Digital Copyright
November 29, 2017
8:30 am - 10:30 am
Join us in person at Mid-York for a webinar viewing party of the ALA’s webinar on digital copyright.
1:30 – 3 p.m.: Webinar
3 – 3:30 p.m.: Light refreshments, time for networking & informal discussion
Legally Using Images: Understanding Digital Copyright Workshop
A 90-minute workshop, Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 1:30pm Eastern/12:30 pm Central/11:30 am Mountain/10:30am Pacific
In the digital age, we face a new series of challenges when it comes to copyright. The web gives us access to a staggering number of images that we can use on our web pages, in our digital content, our library signage, and in presentations. You can search google and come up with thousands of images to represent anything—but how do we know what restrictions copyright law places on our ability? How can we create practices for image usage that ensures we do it legally and effectively?
In this workshop, copyright expert and lawyer Lesley Ellen Harris debunks common misinformation about using images and teaches you strategies so you can determine which images require copyright permission and which you can safely use for free. Harris also alerts you to hidden traps in licensing language. She reviews the essentials of relevant copyright law and teaches you how to avoid expensive and time-consuming legal hassles when using third-party content. This workshop will help increase your confidence in your ability to use images in a copyright-compliant way and lower your risks of copyright infringement.
After participating in this workshop, you will:
• Understand the basics of copyright law for the use of images, including fair use
• Know what to look for in image licenses, including Creative Commons, stock photo agency licenses, and your library’s specific license agreements
• Be aware of when you need to seek permission to use images you find on social media and through Internet search engines
• Bring a copyright-compliant mindset to the use of copyright-protected materials
About the Instructor
*Registration is FREE for CLRC and ESLN members but is required. Please register below.*
TWO LOCATIONS: This webinar viewing party is also being simultaneously hosted at CLRC in East Syracuse. Click here to register and attend at that location.