SUNY Geneseo’s Milne Library seeks an energetic, visionary, innovative, and accomplished professional for the position of Head of Collection Management at the Associate Librarian rank. This head will provide strategic vision, leadership, and supervision of day-to-day activities in collection management. This individual will be responsible for the oversight of acquisitions, collection development, cataloging, special collections and archives, materials processing, donations, and print and digital resources. This individual will play a key leadership role, serving on the library’s management team and contributing significantly to the mission of the library and the institution. The college is about to undertake a leading role in SUNY’s migration to a new library services platform. The Head of Collection Management will play a key role in leading Milne Library’s contributions to the system-wide migration effort.
* Provide strategic vision, leadership, and supervision of day-to-day activities in Collection Management
* Lead a collaborative effort with library faculty and staff to establish and evaluate short and long terms goals and objectives to continuously develop Milne’s collection
* Formulate, develop, and administer the library’s collection development policies
* Supervise, train, and evaluate 2 FTE staff members
* Engage with library liaisons and other stakeholders to continuously evaluate the ways in which decisions regarding collection development are made and communicated
* Develop and implement new programs and strategies for shaping the library’s collections in all formats
* Manage collections budget, which includes orders and renewals for print and digital resources
* Coordinate the work of Collection Management with other library departments
* Serve on the Library Management Team
* Master’s degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school or an ALA-approved foreign equivalent
* Minimum 5 years of professional library experience
* Experience managing a library collections budget
* Knowledge of cataloging principles, standards, practices and technologies
* 3 years of experience supervising library staff
* Demonstrated project management skills
* Experience in assessment and evaluation of library collections
Applicants should be prepared to upload a cover letter that addresses how his/her qualifications meet the position requirements and a CV on Geneseo’s website. Contact information for three references should be supplied at application. References will be invited to submit a letter of reference at the point of initial interview.
Review of applications will begin upon receipt. In order to receive full consideration, applications need to be completed by February 4, 2018. It is anticipated that preliminary phone interviews will be conducted mid to late February. On-campus interviews will likely begin late February and the first part of March.