Offered by Preserve This
Register Here: http://preservethis.org/courses/introduction-to-archives
This course starts on September 12, 2016. It is a self-paced online course designed to be completed within 5 weeks. Participants will spend approximately 2 hours each week on viewing lectures, answering quizzes and completing discussion, reading, and homework assignments. It is recommended that you complete each week’s work within that week to stay in sync with other learners.
This course provides an overview of sound archival practices and the long-term care of permanent records. Participants will learn how to determine what records should be archived and how to connect preservation efforts to the processing and storage of collections. Basic physical processing of archival collections — proper ways to identify, prepare and store materials — as well as evaluating the records for preservation concerns will be covered The importance of maintaining intellectual control of materials, including the creation of finding aids, will be emphasized. Quizzes and homework will allow participants to put their new-found knowledge to use immediately.
* Describe the role of the archivist
* Learn how to make appraisal decisions
* Discover how to organize records
* Identify necessary actions that will prevent and slow down deterioration of records
* Create tools to help your users locate what they need from the collection
* Construct a finding aid
* Compose a reference policy for access
Course Fee: $199.00