The Northern Onondaga Public Library (NOPL) is a Special Library District with branch libraries in Brewerton, Cicero and North Syracuse, and is part of the Onondaga County Public Library System. Serving a population of 56,167, NOPL benefits from secure funding and support from communities that value education. Last year 675,588 items were borrowed and 22,000 people attended 1,662 remarkably varied programs. With a talented staff of 47 and an operating budget of $2.75 million, NOPL has gained recognition for excellent customer service and programming, collaborative practices, and innovative projects like The LibraryFarm, the Preservation Studio, and a Pop-Up Library Vehicle.
This is a Civil Service position with a classification of Library Director 2. Permanent appointment will be contingent on placement on the Onondaga County Civil Service list for the title. Anyone who has been permanently appointed to a Librarian 3 or above, or a Library Director 2 or above, may not be required to take the Civil Service test (Training & Experience Questionnaire).
Anticipated Start Date: May 15, 2018
The Library Director is responsible for all aspects of the operation of the NOPL libraries and reports to the Board of Trustees.
• Develops and presents an annual budget and monitors and approves expenditures
• Assists in preparing meeting agendas and materials and participates in monthly meetings of the Board of Trustees
• Provides oversight for public relations and promotion of collections, services and programs
• Participates in recruitment, hiring, supervision and professional development of library personnel
• Administers personnel regulations and a collective bargaining agreement for employees.
• Provides oversight for collection development and maintenance
• Works closely with vendors and service providers
• Develops short-term and long-range goals in keeping with NOPL’s mission and policies
• Develops policies for consideration and approval by the Board of Trustees
• Closely follows trends and developments in the library profession through professional development opportunities and participation in professional organizations
• Interacts with local municipalities, government representatives, educational institutions and community organizations
• Provides oversight for maintenance of buildings and grounds
• Ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations
• Responds to incident reports and security concerns in the libraries and works with local law enforcement when appropriate
• Provides the Board of Trustees with accurate information and context for decision making
• Establishes service priorities and allocates funds accordingly
• Prepares grant proposals, administers grant funds, and submits all necessary paperwork and reports
• Serves on professional and community committees
• Prepares regular narrative and statistical reports
• Master’s Degree in Library Science, Information Studies or other graduate library degree from a library science program accredited by the American Library Association.
• Possess, or be eligible at time of appointment, a New York State Public Librarian Certificate.
• Have five or more years of satisfactory professional library experience with two or more years in an administrative capacity.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, and project management skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience with financial planning, budgeting, and reporting
• Experience with security issues and solutions
• Commitment to providing high-quality service
• Experience in strategic planning and implementation
• Flexibility, and comfort with change
• Willingness to take risks and to take responsibility for failures as well as successes
• Ability to deal patiently with patron complaints and to find diplomatic solutions
• A strong personal code of ethics
• Prior experience as a director of a library or system of libraries is preferred
$80k-$90k annual salary, commensurate with experience, and a competitive benefits package included.
Please email your resume and cover letter in PDF format to Tom Brooks, Vice President, NOPL Board of Trustees at email@example.com.
Applications received by March 30, 2018 will get preferential treatment.