The Library Director has overall responsibility for carrying out the goals and objectives of the Seneca Falls Library and for supervising all staff.
The library is an Association Library with a service area of nearly 10,000 residents and a history of providing varied services and programming to the community. It is a full-time position with pay commensurate with experience.
Job Duties Include:
1. Collections development, including selecting and ordering materials for the library. The librarian is responsible for cataloging new materials, overseeing collection maintenance, weeding the collection, and serving as the liaison to the Finger Lakes Library System regarding collections and system-wide initiatives.
2. Providing sound fiscal management of the library; responsible for all financial tasks; including, but not limited to: personnel management, including payroll, and maintaining all library bank accounts and records. Preparing and making available any reports requested by the Treasurer, the Board of Trustees or appropriate vendors and/or institutions. Develops an annual operating and capital budget for consideration by the Board of Trustees, and manages expenses in relation to established goals;
3. Attending meetings of the Board and its Committees and informs the Board of significant fiscal, program, personnel and other management matters. The Library Director will also attend and represent the Seneca Falls Library at the following meetings: Friends meetings, Seneca County Library Consortium meetings, FALCON meetings, appropriate FLLS meetings, and any other meetings assigned by the Board of Trustees. Serving as a liaison to community constituencies. Joins a local service group (Rotary, Kiwanis, Chamber of Commerce, etc.);
4. Preparing reports and other information pertinent to decision making requirements of the Board regarding policy and other related activities; including the NYS Library report;
5. Promoting effective public and community relations with donors, library users, media representatives, and the community;
6. Recruiting, hiring, supervising and evaluating the performance of staff, provides appropriate disciplinary action, when necessary, and oversees these activities for all other staff;
7. Creating a positive work environment for all staff and volunteers and provides a welcoming atmosphere for library patrons.
8. Attends meetings of the Board and its Committees and informs the Board of significant fiscal, program, personnel and other management matters. The Library Director also will attend and represent the library at Friends meetings, Seneca County Library Consortium meetings, FALCON meetings, appropriate FLLS meetings and any other meetings assigned by the Board of Trustees.
9. Prepares reports and information pertinent to decision making needs of the Board and the New York State Annual Library Report.
10. Managing the library’s applications for grants, grant management and reporting.
Graduation from an ALA Accredited school or program with a graduate degree in library or information studies AND possession of a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate AND three to five years of satisfactory professional library experience in a library of recognized standing, two years of which must have been in an administrative capacity.
Resumes should be submitted to:
Seneca Falls Library
47 Cayuga Street
Seneca Falls, NY 13148
Applications received by May 27 will get first consideration.