Located in Bellport, the Long Island Library Resources Council (LILRC) is one of the nine library councils in the state of New York, with LILRC serving all of Nassau and Suffolk counties. LILRC aims to enhance access to information, encourage resource sharing, and promote library interests for all LILRC members.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, the Regional Archivist is a full-time position that assists in meeting the mission of goals of the Council. The individual selected for this position will become an important team member, responsible for the LILRC Regional Archival Service and Regional Digitization programs, workshop development, and other duties as assigned.
MLS from ALA-accredited library education program; specialization in archives and records management.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated teamwork, time management skills, and customer service skills
* Experience with Windows computers and software/applications used in business and education, such as Microsoft Office products and Google Applications
* Demonstrated technology skills and willingness to experiment with new tools and equipment.
* Experience in the process of digitization using OCLC CONTENTdm software.
* Background in information technology.
* Project management experience.
* Grant writing experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Responsible for the LILRC Regional Digitization program, including “Long Island Memories”.
* Provide technical support for LILRC’s Regional Digitization Program.
* Encourage the development, where appropriate, of organizational and institutional archival programs to care for records in under-documented areas.
* Provides advice to repositories and record creators on issues and considerations regarding the appraisal, description, and access of historical records.
* Coordinate sponsorship of regional archival workshops including:conservation and preservation of archival materials, processing and maintenance of archival collections, and digitization of archival materials.
* Conduct site visits to historical societies and others who maintain Long Island historic materials and conduct a Needs Assessment.
* Maintain and distribute an online calendar of events sponsored by libraries and other organizations to celebrate Archives Month in October.
* Present an Annual Archives Month Conference in October.
* Liaison to the LILRC Committee on Local History and the Conservation/Preservation Committee.
* Other duties as assigned.
This position requires the employee to travel for conferences, meetings, and other LILRC events.
Beginning salary of $45,000 per year and includes a generous benefit package.
To apply, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter along with any other material you would like to be considered part of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Final candidates will be required to provide names and contact information for three references.
The deadline for submitting an application is February 24, 2017.
The Long Island Library Resources Council is an equal opportunity employer.