Penfield Library at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications for a 12-month, tenure track Senior Assistant Librarian position.
Date of Appointment: Fall 2017
Description of Responsibilities:
• Manage and provide leadership for borrowing and lending operations of the library’s Interlibrary Loan (ILL) unit, including goal setting, report preparation, and budgetary oversight.
• Supervise and train unit staff (two full time clerks, student workers, and adjunct librarian assistants).
• Participate in ILL request fulfillment, and provide relevant professional expertise and troubleshooting as needed.
• Oversee and maintain custom holdings.
• Oversee ILL copyright compliance.
• Continuously assess and improve resource sharing policies and procedures.
• Explore, plan, and oversee resource sharing initiatives.
• Handle initial identification and troubleshooting of problems and opportunities regarding ILL software (currently ILLiad and Odyssey).
• Collaborate with a variety of internal library partners and resource sharing librarians at other institutions.
• Participate in the review and, when necessary, revision of vendor contracts and license agreements.
• Serve as liaison to assigned academic departments, with responsibility for subject specialized collection development and instruction.
• Participate in Research Help Desk rotation for on-site and virtual reference, including some evening and weekend shifts.
• Engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
In addition, this position will be expected to display a demonstrated potential for excellence in librarianship, scholarship, and service; commitment to undergraduate and graduate education; and possess communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues.
• Master’s degree in Librarianship/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, by time of appointment.
• Experience working in resource sharing/interlibrary loan, including use of specialized software (ILLiad, OCLC, and/or Odyssey software).
• Supervisory, leadership, and/or project management experience.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues.
• Ability to effectively adapt to and use emerging library technologies and software.
• Demonstrated interest or engagement with social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion issues, through professional or community experience.
• 2 – 4 years of relevant library experience.
• Experience with reference service, collection development and/or instruction.
• Knowledge of the essential components of consortial agreements and copyright.
To Apply: Submit a letter of application addressing the qualifications, including how you see yourself contributing to diversity, inclusion or equity issues at Penfield Library or SUNY Oswego, resume, a copy of unofficial transcripts; and contact information for three professional references to: http://oswego.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=86332
If you have any questions about the position, please call or e-mail: Matthew Brooks (Chair) Phone: 315.312.2998 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Official transcripts are required prior to hiring. Files must be complete to be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Description of Department:
Penfield Library is a dynamic, innovative, and learning-centered environment serving students, faculty and staff at SUNY Oswego. Located at the heart of the campus and online at www.oswego.edu/library, the Library is an evolving high tech learning facility that supports campus curriculum, teaching, and research. Sixteen full-time faculty and professionals, 6 adjunct faculty, and 15 classified staff support a well-established liaison program that provides collection development, specialized reference, and information literacy instruction in all curricular areas. Penfield library is committed to the practices of social justice, diversity, equality, and respect among our staff, students, collections, and services. We are actively working to build an inclusive environment by setting goals that directly reflect equity and inclusivity, and supporting the goals outlined in SUNY Oswego’s Strategic Diversity and Inclusion Plan, available at https://www.oswego.edu/diversity/. All positions will be called on to contribute to building this environment.
Description of SUNY Oswego:
Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive college located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. Named one of “Top Up-and-Coming Schools” in U.S. News “America’s Best Colleges” in 2010, a Kiplinger’s “Best College Value” for 2015, and a “Best Northeastern College” by Princeton Review every year since the first edition in 2003, Oswego offers its 8000 undergraduate and graduate students preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education. The College’s success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities. The emphasis on faculty- mentored student research and creative projects is evidenced by Quest, a daylong symposium spotlighting original student research; a stipend program for students engaged in research and creative work; and the Global Laboratory, a STEM-based research abroad program at top-ranked universities around the world.
SUNY Oswego is an unusually collegial and vibrant community and is in a time of wonderful opportunities with extensive facilities construction and renovation, a forward-looking strategic plan, and expanded outreach to regional, national, and international communities. Additional information about SUNY Oswego can be found at www.oswego.edu. Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please see our full non- discrimination policy, https://www.oswego.edu/title-ix/non-discrimination-policy. In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing email@example.com.
For Campus Safety information, please see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery) on the Human Resources Website: https://www.oswego.edu/human-resources/annual-security-and-fire-report.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
In addition, the State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. For more information on benefits for full-time United University Professions (UUP) faculty, visit: https://www.suny.edu/media/suny/content- assets/documents/benefits/benefit-summaries/FTUUPbenefitsummary-January-2017.pdf or http://www.suny.edu/benefits/