Consider contributing to the Explore New York reading lists for the 2019 Summer Reading at New York Libraries.
The slogan for all ages for 2019 is A Universe of Stories and the theme is space.
Please follow these instructions when recommending any books for the reading list…
Titles to include on each list must meet at least one of the following criteria:
• Set in a region of New York State.
• Focused on a particular group living in New York State.
• About cultures and identities of New York State.
• About an important New York State event.
• About an important New York State resident.
All titles selected must include:
• The title, author, and publishing information (publisher, place, and year).
• Information about the availability of the book in audio format. We will add information about titles available at the various Talking Book and Braille Libraries throughout the state.
• A short summary of 1-3 sentences that indicates how the title is related to New York (see criteria above), whether the book is fiction or non-fiction, and the list where the book should be added (picture book, elementary, tween, or teen).
Sample Format for title submissions:
Avi. The Seer of Shadows. New York: Harper Collins, 2008.
In New York City in 1872, fourteen-year-old Horace becomes entangled in a plot to create fraudulent spirit photographs. When Horace accidentally frees the real ghost of a dead girl bent on revenge, his life takes a frightening turn.
Audio CD by Recorded Books (2008)
Each list is organized by age group:
• Picture Books Age 0-10
• Elementary Age 7-10
• Tween Age 11-13
• Teen Age 14-18
Please submit all book suggestions, with full information, by December 21st, 2018 to Jess Hoffman at Jessica.Hoffman@nysed.gov.
Mailing List Signup