SCRLC 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting
October 30 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
The Board of Trustees invites you to attend SCRLC’s 54th Annual Meeting
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Audits: Implications and Applications for Library & Information Organizations
Location: Virtual (a Zoom link will be emailed a couple of days before the event)
Time: 9:00am – 1:00pm
Deadline to register: End of the day, Wednesday, October 28th
This year we are pleased to have Dr. Kawanna Bright, Assistant Professor of Library Science at East Carolina University facilitating the workshop.
Description: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) audits offer library and information organizations (LIOs) a strategic method for assessing their DEI efforts. However, the actual execution of these audits is often seen as overly complicated and expensive. And with no standardized methods available, many LIOs find themselves not even sure where to begin. This workshop is designed to offer attendees not only an overview of what a DEI audit is designed to do, but also prepare them to take the necessary steps towards planning and conducting a DEI audit in their own organizations.
- Understand what DEI audits are and how they apply to LIOs.
- Determine which key aspects of DEI audits apply directly to their organizations.
- Create an initial plan for assessing DEI in their own organizations.
The ultimate goal of this workshop is for attendees to leave knowing what their next steps will be for conducting a DEI audit in their own organizations.
- 9:00-12:00 Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Audits: Implications and Applications for Library & Information Organizations – Dr. Kawanna Bright
- 12:00-12:15 Break
- 12:15-1:00 Business Meeting
- Call to Order – James Galbraith, President
- Roll Call
- Approval of 2019 Annual Meeting Minutes – Jim Galbraith
- President’s Report – Jim Galbraith
- Financial Report – Sarah Glogowski, Treasurer
- Executive Director’s Report – Mary-Carol Lindbloom
- Board of Trustees Elections (Candidates Biographies) – Jim Galbraith
- Presentation of Awards
- Adjournment of Business Meeting
Presenter: Kawanna Bright, PhD, MLIS
Bio: Dr. Kawanna Bright is Assistant Professor of Library Science at East Carolina University. Dr. Bright earned her PhD in Research Methods and Statistics from the University of Denver in 2018. Prior to earning her doctorate, Dr. Bright worked as an academic librarian for twelve years, with a focus on reference, instructional services, and information literacy. She earned her MLIS from the University of Washington iSchool in 2003. Dr. Bright’s current research focuses on assessment in libraries, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in libraries, the application of research methodology to the study of library and information science, and the importance of the liaison librarianship role in academic libraries. Her work with Dr. Amy VanScoy (University at Buffalo) to investigate the reference and information services experience of librarians of color received a 2014 ALA Diversity Research Grant and was awarded the 2017 Beta Phi Mu-Library Research Round Table Research Paper Award. Among other projects, Dr. Bright is diligently continuing her efforts to develop a standardized DEI assessment tool for academic libraries in the hopes of moving the assessment of DEI away from simply counting “diverse” employees.